Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sacrifice and Penitence

With Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday behind us, each of us must now contend with our own forty days of sacrifice and penitence. Forty days...and nights. Just two days less than six weeks. Not much time, when you think about it. It's time to reflect, to turn inward a bit and examine ourselves.

I do this every year. On Ash Wednesday, I get up early, and look at the world around me. If I'm not in a jail cell in New Orleans, then we're off to a good start. Next, I look at myself closely in the mirror. If I don't find a wound or a new tattoo somewhere, the day is starting to look good.

After a cup of coffee, and the haze of morning has been somewhat lifted, I consider what I have given up for Lent. Some years, the sacrifice is more difficult than others. Once, not realizing that St.Patrick's Day is during Lent, I gave up cabbage. Damn.

This year, after due consideration, I've decided to give up Makers Mark. It's my current favorite bourbon. As most everyone knows, I will not drink that crap from Tennessee, and I've never been a fan of Scotch. I can no longer drink beer because it contains gluten. Since I don't have any hand guns, Tequila isn't near as much fun as it used to be.

It's going to be a long forty days and forty nights.

Thank God for Knob Creek.

No comments: