Saturday, June 7, 2008

It's hot

Dateline: Yardley, Pa.
It was hot today. It was more than hot. It was sweltering. So, naturally building smokey fires in steel barbeque rigs just added to the...the ...joy. Oh, yeah, did I mention that it was humid? Yep. Humid too. It was so hot the the wax melted on the top of my Maker's Mark bottle, and so humid the label slid off.

It's 10:20pm. It's still hot. It's 84 degrees. and humid. I promised Landi that I would not get drunk tonight, so I'm mixing my bourbon with water. I only have one fifth to make it all night, so I' rationing it. I just bought 40 more pounds of ice, so I think I'll make it.

We have had the good fortune to have some fellow Missippians set up next to us. I heard them talking when they first got here, and it was so nice to hear someone speak without an accent. Turns out, they have one kid at Ole Miss, and anther who dropped out of Ole Miss to be a professional poker player.

So, I should mention at this point, while everyone else was sweating and suffering in the oppressive heat, Bob and I were in AirConditioned comfrort. When it is 98 degress and humid, it's so hot that it's not healthy. However, because Brother Bob and I were in Utilikilted comfort, we sweated, but did not wilt....and we were cool.

So, it's hotter than a three petered skeeter, and we're sitting out all night around the fires to make sure that we produce only the finest barbeque. I've probably sweated out enough toxins and poisons to live forever.

Brisket and shoulders started tonight. We'll listen to Buffet, Jerry Jeff and others, and hang through the night. Update to follow in the morning....

No comments: